Why are we doing it?
In 1954, 10 parents met to form an organisation to support parents with children in Scotland who had learning disabilities. 60 years on ENABLE Scotland are still at the forefront providing vital support to the lives of people with a learning disability.
This week eight Scottish children will be born with a learning disability – our work is as relevant and necessary now as it was then.
- 93% of children with a learning disability are bullied
- One in four children with a learning disability are physically assaulted
- 9 out of every 10 people with a learning disability experience hate crime.
- 18% of families with disabled children cannot afford to heat their homes
- 43% of families with disabled children have fallen behind with payments for utility bills such as council tax, mortgage and rent
- Only one in three people with learning disabilities are able to name at least 1 close friend.
- Over 75% of people with learning disabilities are not in employment or training for employment.
ENABLE Scotland provides much needed and innovative support in every part of the country – through early intervention, family based respite, supported living, education schemes, work experience and support for employers. We help people every step of the way including through difficult times of diagnosis and transition. Your support in Cycle the World is vital for ENABLE Scotland to continue it’s work in local communities for another 60 years.